/*Butterflies Are Free - By Elyse Author URL: www.estudiodesigns.com*/

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Buncha Little Jesus'

Ok, first off, I would like to say I've never really been a religious person..so this story might tickle your funny bone a bit.

When I was a child, my parents enrolled me in Catholic school. So we did go to church sometimes as there was a church pretty much beside the school.
Where I lived was like a cultural melting pot. People from all over the world of different nationalities. Most of the people in our apartment complex were Middle Eastern, or East Indian.

My mother had just bought a whole brand new set of towels. They were in colours of orange, orangeish red, dark gold etc.
So one day a bunch of kids, and I were outside playing on some of the little hills that were in the courtyard. I got the idea that we should play Jesus.
So I traipsed off into my apartment and got the towels down, plus a few blue towels to go with it.
When I got outside I proceeded to hand out a couple towels to each and every kid that was right there. We put them on sorta like the robes that people from Biblical times wore and we marched around the yard making up fake sermons and stuff, then came the part for the blue towels. We spread them down on the ground and walked on them. Voila we were Jesus walking on water.

I'm sitting here chuckling as I write this because we were having an absolute blast, so were some of the parents that were watching us. Needless to say some people got all riled up and offended, came out and yanked their kids into the house. C'mon we were kids for chrissakes!

So the point of posting this is to not only share a lil story from my childhood, but to share an actual point.

Why as kids are we able to overlook the differences of others and become friends and coexist peacefully, and have some fun in life? Wouldn't it do some good if adults did the same? All those kids of different nationalities, different religions were able to come together and play as friends... we did not let skin color, religion or any of that get in the way.
It was good honest, clean fun. Nobody was making fun of another, nor making fun of another's religious beliefs. Maybe we should all take a little more childlike outlook on life and the people in it..might do us some good.

10 comment(s):

Ahhh... good post. I had some friends in like 3rd grade that were of different religions and race. I didn't know it until my mother pointed it out to me. She's jewish, she's hispanic. I had no idea and didn't care. I was a kid having fun and stayed friends with them.

thanks for your support, btw!

By Blogger Cassandra, at 3:50 p.m.  

i really enjoyed that ....we dont come into the world having bad feelings against others because of their religion or color or race...it is taught to us..and may the Goddess bit the shit out of any parent that teaches hate...

By Blogger yellowdoggranny, at 11:51 p.m.  

If you ever find the answer to that qustion, you'll be a hero to millions.

Bigotry and hate are learned behaviors. As children, we don't see the differences of colour, race etc.

I was raised in the 50s and 60s and couldn't understand why the Civil Rights movement in the US was such a big deal. Why should the fact that someone is black make a difference? But, I also reemember hearing other kids use the "N" word and adults spouting off about "those people" from the city moving to our all white town.

I learned all too quickly about hate when I started appearing publically as Lauren. Twice I have had to flee from someone who was going to hurt me because I am different.

Bless your heart for having an open mind and a loving soul.

HUGGSS!!

By Blogger Lauren, at 7:00 a.m.  

You girls left some excellent comments here... my mothers favorite saying was "We all bleed the same" and I've kept that in my mind since I was a child. It's so true. I think growing up in a culturally diverse area, as well as having a gay brother taught me to NOT hate people different from myself.

Parents who teach their children to hate need to be bitchslapped..PRONTO!

By Blogger Donna, at 7:46 a.m.  

Car problems do suck! It's the battery. And I'm getting 2 new tires that I needed badly. Should be ready today. I need my own crew chief.

By Blogger Cassandra, at 3:44 p.m.  

That's the nature of a child,they haven't learn to hate yet.

By Blogger Michele, at 7:59 p.m.  

Maybe that's what is meant by having "childlike faith"?

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:30 a.m.  

Heh. I remember it was mandatory at the local pool to wrap the towel around your leg turn the top over and wahlah you had a sheiks veil. I never thought to play jesus.

If anything the parents should have appreciated the fact that you knew of the goings on. The walking on water etc.

By Blogger apositivepessimist, at 8:16 a.m.  

What a beautiful thought. I spend a little too much time thinking about why we can't just let go of differences. We are all people, and we are all beautiful just as we are.

By Blogger Heather, at 4:04 p.m.  

http://www.pregnancyaid.in
Apparently in all places you turn, this good friend is taking hormone supplements and that couple is paying for another IVF treatment.
But due to low financial resources at this age and availability of good career options, women prefer to have babies in their thirties.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:33 p.m.  

Post a comment

<< Home